119 Maple Avenue | Red Bank, New Jersey 07701-1715
  • RSS Feed
  • Facebook
  • Google +
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Law Offices Of Robert A. Olkowitz
Call For a Consultation: 732-784-3935
Default Banner

About Our Firm

Robert Olkowitz believes the working people are the backbone of this country. He feels they are the most in need and deserving of the highest quality representation and immediate relief from an injury to support families and maintain lifestyles. For over 30 years, New Jersey personal injury attorney Robert Olkowitz has been there to fight for those injured and disabled in New Jersey.

In 1995, Robert Olkowitz founded the Law Offices of Robert Olkowitz, P.C. so he could continue his advocacy for individuals and their loved ones needing legal help with personal injury, Social Security disability and appeals, and workers compensation cases. Mr. Olkowitz has …

Learn More ›

Social Security Appeals Blog Post

What You Need to Know: Social Security Appeals

Individuals who are unable to work because of a disability — including those born with such disabilities — are often eligible to collect Social Security benefits. However, individuals who became disabled as adults must file a claim in order to collect Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits, and may be eligible to collect Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

What to expect from your SSD appeal

If you filed a Social Security claim and it was denied, you have the right to appeal that decision. Appeals for claims are handled by the Appeals Council of the Social Security Administration (SSA). Almost all appeals must be made within 60 days of the denial of your claim. The SSA only allows appeals after 60 days if you can show just cause for not filing an appeal during that time frame.

The Appeals Council will not make an actual decision about your claim. Instead, they will decide whether or not your claim should be heard by an administrative law judge. The process of correctly completing an appeal so that your claim will be heard by such a judge can be confusing and time-consuming. It is best to hire a SSD lawyer who concentrates in assisting adults in New Jersey file Social Security claims appeals.

When making an appeal, it is necessary to include extensive information that supports your request for another hearing. A failure to include all necessary information may result in the failure of your Social Security appeal. If your request for another hearing isn't granted, your only option is to file a civil suit in federal court. Such suits can be costly. It is best to rely on a professional to guide you through the claim appeals process so that you can avoid a federal court filing.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *